What is Holistic Dentistry?
At Silent Sleep Rx, we’re not like many other sleep dental practices in New Jersey. We use a holistic approach when caring for our patients, meaning we don’t just focus on your oral health, but your overall health and well-being as a whole.
Rather than just treating sleep apnea with an oral appliance, Dr. MacFarlane looks at the underlying problems that are leading to your sleep disorder. He finds ways that can help prevent those problems from occurring in the first place and considers the best solution for your entire well-being, not just your sleep.
Discover the benefits of our holistic approach and see which natural remedy will work best for you, your sleep, and your health.
What are the Benefits of a Holistic Approach?
As a holistic practice, Dr. MacFarlane and our team focus on the big picture. By using a complete and thorough approach to wellness, our patients receive many benefits, including:
- Total body wellness
- Individualized treatments
- Natural healing methods
- Minimally invasive treatments
- Safe, compatible materials
- Lifestyle recommendations
Natural Remedies to Relieve Your Sleep Apnea
In addition to using a safe, effective oral appliance to treat your sleep apnea, Dr. MacFarlane recommends you try some of these uniques techniques that can positively contribute to your health:
- Aromatherapy: Rubbing essential oils on your body or filling your room with scents using a humidifier are both effective ways that can relieve your sleep symptoms, improve breathing, and stop snoring. Some of the best oils to try for sleep apnea specifically are peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, and more.
- Change Your Sleep Position: Try to switch up your sleeping position and lay on your side rather than your back, where snoring and sleep apnea episodes occur most often. To help get accustomed to sleeping on your side, put a tennis ball in a pocket-tee worn backward. Whenever you try to roll on your back, the tennis ball will urge you to move onto your side.
- Relaxation Techniques: Deep breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation are all great ways to help get ready for bed and encourage a better night’s sleep overall. Additionally, these relaxation techniques help lower stress levels, decrease heart rate and blood pressure, and improve your overall mood.
- Calming Music: Listening to quiet, soothing music right before bed can boost your sleep quality, relax your mind and body, slow down your breathing, and reduce your heart rate– all of which contribute to a better night’s sleep and good health.
Other simple lifestyle changes that can improve your sleep disorder while also significantly benefiting your well-being are exercising, following a well-balanced diet, and avoiding bad habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, and overusing sedatives.
Talk to Dr. MacFarlane Today
As a leading holistic dentist in Red Bank, NJ, Dr. MacFarlane is here to help care for you and your health. He isn’t just going to provide you with an oral appliance to treat your sleep apnea, he’s going to work with you to discover natural ways to relieve your symptoms and take care of your body and overall well-being. Schedule your consultation today to learn more about our holistic solutions.